Fruit consumption nowadays has increased from before as they act as a source of healthy diet and weight management tool. It adds a lot of health benefits and decreases the risk of many diseases.
Several beliefs are there about the sugar content of fruit and people get concerned about it before eating too much.
The nutrient content in fruits vary in varieties and types. All fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre like Vitamin C, folate, potassium which we cannot get enough from our regular diet.
Fibre gives a feeling of satiety which helps to avoid eating frequently and in turn helps weight control. It also helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
It acts as an antioxidant to help fight against free radicals which might damage cells. Antioxidants also help in anti-aging.
So, we should eat different types of fruit to extract more benefits.
Benefits of Eating Fruits:
- Fruits are loaded with nutrients but low in calories.
- Rich in fibre and water which gives a feeling of satiety.
- Should consume whole fruit rather than jams or juice.
- Lowers risk of diseases like cancer, heart, diabetes.
- Citrus fruits increase the citrate level in urine which aids in lowering kidney stone risk.
- When consumed as a whole fruit it effects less on blood glucose levels.
- Fibres reduce the insulin resistance which aids against type 2 diabetes.
- Contains polyphenols which improves blood glucose levels.
- To control carbohydrates in diet the good options in fruits are berries.
- For a normal person it is safe to consume fruit in any amount.
Consumption of Fruits:
- Usually, the recommendation is 400 gm per day minimum, or we can have it in 5 servings.
- By having fruits at short intervals reduces the risk of many diseases like heart, cancer.
- It varies from different associations guidelines. USDA recommends 2 servings per day. Whereas AHA (American Heart Association) recommends 4 -5 servings per day.
Based on a 2000 calorie diet we require RDA as :
Nutrition Value of Fruits
- Whole fruit consumption promotes overall good health and lowers risk of many diseases.
- Except in a ketogenic diet there is no limitation of fruit intake.